Classroom and Tutorial Attendance
Parents will receive an autodialer call for unexcused absences. If you have any questions about an absence in a specific class, please email the teacher by clicking on Contact on our website or by clicking on the teacher's name in PowerSchool.
If you get repeated autodialer calls, please contact the school to find out why. Sometimes a class was not changed due to missing paperwork and calling us can help us fix that. Other times a student is not clear on their attendance expectations and contacting us helps us ensure everyone has the correct information.
Important Tutorial Attendance Information
1. Grade 10-12 must sign up for Tutorial blocks in the Flex Session tab of Powerschool on their web browser
2. Flex is an add-on to Powerschool and will not work in the Powerschool App--only on the website itself
3. The link to Powerschool is on our fmhigh.wrsd.ca home page
4. Grade 10-12 students who are not registered for a Flex session are automatically marked absent, so students need to ensure they are signed up and attend the full block to avoid being marked absent. Part of a student's Learning Strategy grade is derived from their use of Tutorial time
5. Students can access their grades on Powerschool to determine where they should go for Tutorial. Clicking on the grade will show if a student is missing any assignments.
6. Tutorial is considered class time and students must be attending Tutorial in order to get the full benefit of learning time and teacher support.
7. If a student is having difficulty accessing their Powerschool student portal, please come to the office and we will help. Students can also get help from their Advisory teacher
8. Parents can view their child's grades and attendance by creating an account--please email or contact the office for the access codes.
9. Students who leave earlier in the day to work in a RAP placement must have their new paperwork submitted to Mrs. Horn in order to be marked School Excused for Tutorial and Advisory blocks. Please see Mrs. Horn for details.
10. If you believe your child was marked absent incorrectly, kindly email email@example.com with the date and time of the absence along with the Tutorial block your child attended. Students can ensure they are not incorrectly marked absent by signing into Powerschool and selecting their Tutorial blocks.
11. Tutorial block is a valuable part of student learning and success--we appreciate parent support in helping us to help students!
Attendance Process and Expectations
- Attendance is taken each block
- Students are responsible for attending all classes and communicating their whereabouts with the teacher at all times. Students cannot skip a class to do homework from another class; students should use Tutorial block for this purpose
- Attendance appears in PowerSchool. Parents can create a PowerSchool account and view attendance at any time--see the Parents tab on this website for more information about setting up an account
- Grade 10-12 students need to register for Tutorial blocks on a daily basis. If they are absent from where they signed up or did not sign up, they will be marked absent and an automated phone call will go home. Grade 9 students are automatically signed up
- An automated phone call will go home at approximately 5:00 PM each day to inform parents which blocks a student was absent in
- If a parent calls in to excuse an absence, the attendance is marked "P" for Parent Excused and an automated phone call does not get sent home
- If a parent has questions about a student's attendance, they can contact the school or email the teacher directly to verify details of the absence
- Students are NOT marked absent if they are late; instead, they are marked late the number of minutes late is recorded
- Parents can call the school and request an Attendance Profile any time
- Teachers or Admin will phone home if repeated absences are impacting student progress