Term 2 Tutorial Schedule
Tutorial Schedule is mostly the same as term 1 but has some changes for term 2:
- grade 9s are still assigned and directed in their Tutorial but it may not be in the same block as last semester--check the schedule for details; grade 9s have Advisory every Friday
- grade 10s will be assigned their Tutorial but they decide what subject they will work on
- you may notice that grade 10 classes may be assigned to a teacher they do not get--this does not mean this teacher is teaching them that subject. It means that the class is assigned to that teacher and room for Tutorial but can work on any of their subjects
- We know this may feel like a step backwards for grade 10s since they have had the choice in term 1 but the purpose for bringing back the assigned Tutorial in grade 10 is to give them better access to their subject teacher. In term 1, grade 10, 11 and 12 students could sign up for the same Tutorial and many were finding they had less access to their teacher because of all three grades together. With assigned grade 10s, grade 10 students have access to their teacher in Tutorial on their assigned day and grade 11/12 students have access on OPEN days
- grade 11 students have choice of where they go and what subject they work on for Tutorial. The Max is open to grade 11 students or they can select an OPEN session
- grade 12 students also have choice in where they go and what subject they work on. The Learning Commons and Upstairs Max are designated grade 12 only spaces or they can select and OPEN session
- The gym will be open to each grade level (10-12) one day per week for Tutorial (grade 9 students have PE every second day already) but have to sign up in advance--check Powerschool to sign up
- we used to use First, Second, Third and Fourth day of the week on the schedule in term 1 but we have shifted back to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on the schedule for term 2
- similar to term 1, some days teachers in a subject area department will be collaborating and will not be available--see schedule and calendar for details
- we will go over these changes with students in the assembly and Advisory classes tomorrow and Friday
Remember, Tutorial is not a spare.
It is students' opportunity to personalize their learning by focusing on the subject they need more time in. They can do homework, assignments, prepare for upcoming learning, research, read ahead, go over tests, get writing help from a teacher, work together on projects....just to name a few. Classroom teachers will make suggestions during classtime of what students can do in Tutorial to improve their learning. Students need practice to master skills and Tutorial gives them the time and place to do that.
Effective use of Tutorial not only deepens learning and improves grades, but attendance in Tutorial can be used as evidence of their study skills which is used to calculate their Learning Strategy mark, a 5 credit course at each grade level (10-12) that can be used as a postsecondary or diploma requirement in grade 12.
Please contact the school or your child's Advisory teacher if you have any questions. If you get the dreaded, "This is Frank Maddock High School calling. A student in your household has been absent for block 6" we encourage parents to reinforce the importance attending and using Tutorial to improve learning and grades. We want to spare students the regret of not getting the grades they had wanted because of missed opportunities.
Thank you to parents and students for working with us to better student learning!
School Messenger Opt-In for Texts
Grad Sitting Fees
Click Here to register for your Grad Portrait.
Important Diploma Exam Information
Click Here to view important Diploma Exam information
April 2019 Exam Schedule
Looking for teacher-approved review material? ExamBank has been bringing students the best in online practice tests for over 15 years! Thousands of Canadian students sign in to practice region-specific tests every day. Discover the power of ExamBank!
Click Here For the username and password.
Grade 12 students and parents,
On Tuesday, admin along with Commencement and Evening program organizers met with grade 12 students to address concerns brought forward in a petition.
The main concern brought forward was the May 24th Commencement date. We are aware that there is a preference for grad at the end of June, however careful consideration was given to the date selection and due to the last week of June being a pivotal time needed to best serve the needs of all FMHS students, both in the current and coming year, Commencement will remain on May 24, 2019.
Parents and students have input into the date and format of the Evening Program, and based on feedback from Evening Program Parent Meeting and follow-up Grade 12 student meetings in October, the two-day format with the Evening Program following Commencement was decided and will be on May 25, 2019.
There will be opportunity for input in the planning of the Evening Program starting in February. The next grade 12 student meeting to begin choosing an executive and brainstorming ideas for themes, colors, etc will be February 4, 2019. Grad Photos will be that week also; instructions on how to sign up for a grad photo sitting will be sent out in January.
During the meeting with students this week, students were invited to email or make an appointment to meet if they have concerns or questions or to ensure they have accurate information. We invite parents to do the same; my email is firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact 780-542-4401 to make an appointment.
Graduation is an important event to students, parents, the school and community. While challenging to choose a format and date that will work for everyone, FMHS strives to best serve our diverse learning community.
Frank Maddock High School
(780) 542-4401(780) 542-3407
school website: www.fmhigh.wrsd.ca
Blue & Gold Society
Next Meeting: March 21st, 2019 @ 6:00pm
Location: FMHS Learning Commons
Click here to learn more about the Blue & Gold Society.
Grade 9 Getting Involved Survey
You may have to be logged into your google account to do the survey.
Follow us on Social Media
Regular Bell Schedule 2018/19
Grade 9 Information
FMHS Student Supply List
The supply list is general;there may be some additional requirements, depending on the section and teacher but the attached list covers most supplies that will be needed.
Because students do make timetable changes, particularly in the first days of the semester, is may be wise to wait on purchases if any changes are anticipated.
Safe Arrival information letter
For more information on the new attendance reporting system.
Grade 12 Students - Find and apply for Scholarships. ScholarTree is 100% free to students, and it streamlines the scholarship process for students, create a simple profile and based on the information they provide, ScholarTree matches them to scholarships they qualify for.
School News View All
What is the Blue & Gold Society?
Posted on Jun 20 2018
Let us introduce you to the Frank Maddock High School Blue and Gold Society! Parents and community members recently incorporated a not for profit society in keeping with our proud FMHS motto “Strive to Excel”! It’s called the FMHS Blue and…
Measuring Interest in French Immersion in Drayton Valley
Posted on Feb 1 2018
Wild Rose School Division is currently looking at the level of interest in offering French immersion programming in Drayton Valley. If successful, the program would begin in grade 1 next school year. In order to gauge interest, parents…