2018/19 Bell Schedule, Advisory and Tutorial
Changes from last year:
- There is no Advisory block on Monday.
- Instead, Advisory will take place through individual or small group appointments during Advisory week (approximately once per month).
- These appointments help the Advisory teacher determine a student's grade for Learning Strategies 15, 25 or 35
- Tutorial is every day but focused on core subjects; there will be some CTS/Fine Arts/PE Tutorials but primarily, Tutorial is for core subjects
- Students will have access to many teachers in a subject area as well as their own subject-area teacher
- Math, English Language Arts and Social Studies will have some classroom Tutorial blocks but many will be in larger group settings to allow more access to teacher and peer supports; Science Tutorials are in classrooms
- Students can see what Tutorials are available by signing up on Powerschool or checking posted schedules
- There will be some Tutorial blocks where a group of subject-area teachers is not available. This is because teachers will be using this time to collaborate as a subject-area team to focus on what students should be doing in tutorial and developing resources for students to use to build pre-requisite skills
- Students will have four 75 minute classroom blocks in a day and one 40 minute tutorial block.
- Tutorial block is not optional but grade 10-12 students have choice in which Tutorial they attend and what subject they focus on
- The breaks between classes are 5 minutes
- Lunch is 50 minutes
- All grades are on the same bell schedule
Click here for the 2018/19 Bell Schedule
- Grade 9 students will have their tutorial blocks assigned based on a schedule
- Grade 10-12 students will choose and sign up for which core subject Tutorial they need
- There will be a schedule so students know which subjects are available on which days
- Fridays all teachers and classrooms will be open for Tutorial
- Advisory classes will take place at the beginning of the semester
- After that, Advisory teachers meet with their Advisory students individually or in small groups to discuss learning goals and challenges, set future goals get connected to supports and opportunities
- These meetings will take place during Advisory week, typically at the end of the month
- These meetings also help the Advisory teacher determine the student's grade for Learning Strategies 15, 25 or 35
Grade 9 Schedule
- Grade 8 teachers will make up class lists for students to be grouped in their core and PE classes (9A, 9B, 9C, 9D, 9E)
- Language Arts, Math and PE are full year courses. PE will alternate with LA one semester and with Math the other semester
- Science and Social Studies will be one semester each and the PAT for the subject they take in first semester will be in January
- Options will be half a semester each so students will take 4 options over the course of the school year
- Blocks will not rotate--the only variation in a student's schedule will be where they go for Tutorial block
Click here to see Grade 10-12 Tutorial Schedule and scroll to the second page to see the Grade 9 Tutorial Schedule
Signing up for Tutorial Block
Tutorial block is still classtime
At FMHS, high school credits are no longer awarded based on 125 hours of instruction for five credits. By changing this funding model the school was able to reconfigure the timetable to allow a segment of the day for students to personalize their learning.
Tutorial time is class time where students can choose which subject they need more time to master the outcomes.